In Minecraft, the only way to get glass is to melt sand in a furnace. Here are the steps to making glass in Minecraft.
Note: This article’s instructions work for all versions of Minecraft, including those on Windows, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Make Glass: What You Need
Here’s what you need to do to make glass in Minecraft:
- Fuel source (Coal, Wood, etc.)
- Furnace (craft with 8 Cobblestones or Blackstones)
- A place to do crafts (craft with 4 Wood Planks)
How to Craft Glass in Minecraft
Follow these steps to make glass blocks once you have all the materials you need:
- Make a table for crafts. Put 4 Wood Planks of the same type of wood in each box of the 2×2 crafting grid. Planks of any kind will do (Oak Planks, Jungle Planks, etc.).
2. Place the Crafting Table on the ground and interact with it to open the 3×3 crafting grid.
How you interact with Minecraft objects depends on the platform you’re using:
Right-click on a PC
Xbox: Press LT
Press L2 on the PlayStation
Nintendo: Press ZL
3. Craft a Furnace. Open a Crafting Table and position eight Cobblestones or Blackstones in the outside 3×3 grid boxes (leave the box in the middle empty).
4. Set your Furnace down on the ground and interact with it to bring up the menu for smelting.
5. To turn it on, put a fuel source (Coal, Wood, etc.) in the bottom box on the left side of the Furnace menu.
6. Put Sand in the top box on the left side of the Furnace menu.
7. Drag the Glass into your inventory when the progress bar is full.
What Can Be Made With Glass in Minecraft
Glass is mostly used to make glass panes, which you can put on your buildings to make them look nicer. To make stained glass, open a Crafting Table, put 8 blocks of Glass in the outer boxes, and put your dye in the middle box.
Beacons, Daylight Sensors, End Crystals, and Glass Bottles all need glass in order to be made.
How to Make Glass Panes in Minecraft
Open a Crafting Table and put 3 Glass blocks in the top row and 3 Glass blocks in the middle row to make glass panes. Glass panes can be put together and shaped into windows and other structures.
How to Make Beacons in Minecraft
To make a Beacon, put a Netherstar in the middle of the Crafting Table, 3 Obsidians on the bottom row, and 5 Glass blocks in the remaining boxes.
How to Make a Light Detector
To make a Daylight Sensor, put 3 Glass blocks in the top row of the Crafting Table, 3 Nether Quartz blocks in the middle row, and 3 Wood Slabs in the bottom boxes (any Wood Slab will do).
How to Make Crystals for the End
To make an End Crystal, put an Eye of Ender in the middle of the Crafting Table, a Ghastly Tear in the middle of the bottom row, and then 7 Glass blocks in the other boxes.
How to Make Glass Bottles Out of Glass
To make a Glass Bottle, put 2 Glass blocks in the first and last boxes in the top row and 1 Glass block in the middle of the 3X3 grid.